Thursday, June 01, 2006

golf update

On April 14 I posted about the possibility of a Russian cosmonaut on the International Space Station hitting a golf ball during a space walk. I came out against such a stunt because I don't want to see space activities completely undermined for corporate advertising opportunities. The space walk during which the golf ball was to be hit is happening later tonight. However, as I expected, the golf ball stunt has been scratched from the space walk and postponed to a later date. We don't know why, but my guess is that the schedule of actual mission activities has eaten up the entire 6 hours allotted for the space walk. However, we learned this week that NASA was close to approving the golf ball hit from a safety standpoint but perhaps lingering concerns led to the postponement. Regardless, I'm happy to hear that the repair of an oxygen system, the replacement of a camera, and the retrieval of a contamination monitoring system were given higher priority than a golf ball.