An Inconvenient Truth
I finally managed to see Al Gore's film on the environment and global warming today and I give the film a big thumbs up. Yes, the film can definitely be viewed as the centerpiece of a Presidential election vehicle and yes, the film contains a few too many wistful scenes of Al gazing out windows, but I give him high marks for trying his best to not only understand the science of global warming but present it to a mass audience without dumbing things down too much. The film moves back and forth between scenes of Gore giving his now famous lecture on global warming and glimpses into his life story and the parts that are relevant to the environmental movement. In his lecture, he shows the actual data that so clearly proves how we have changed our atmosphere. He exposes some of the absolutely irresponsible moves that have come out of the Bush White House regarding global warming, including the editing of scientific findings by a non-expert. Gore places the burden of proof upon himself, spending 90% of the time simply trying to convince us that the evidence is real before switching gears to tell us what we can do. My favorite aspect of the film is the presentation of data: atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, global population growth, global temperature trends, sea ice reduction, all presented on visually impressive graphs with Gore's caring and involved narration of their meaning. This is an important film, I highly recommend it.
www.climatecrisis.net