Monday, October 30, 2006

Your name here

I'm not really sure what I think about this new "send your name into space" movement with the space program, but I think I'm ok with it. Anything that attracts public attention to space missions is a good thing. So, I thought I'd put this out there for anyone who is interested. Dawn is a spacecraft mission to the asteroid belt that launches next summer. It arrives in the asteroid belt in 2011 and will study the two largest asteroids there, Vesta and Ceres. A microchip will be onboard that contains the names of people who submit to this website by November 4. It looks like you can submit as many as you want, and the current tally is about 170,000 names. So, submit yourself, submit your family, submit your cat, it's not every day you get to send your name to an asteroid.