Sunday, July 30, 2006

alignment success

Fired up the new telescope tonight to see if I could get the initial setup and tracking working. One of the advantages of this telescope is that I can be on the patio, powered up, and aligned in 5 minutes, if everything works. I started by getting a quick manual look at the moon before it headed into the trees. Stunning. I then powered up and went through the alignment procedure. I suspected my problem from a few nights ago was that the scope was not aligned to geographic north accurately enough. I got a better idea of north using a map and tested the idea tonight. After alignment I programmed the computer to slew the telescope to Jupiter. After about 20 seconds of slewing, I looked through the finder scope (the wide field of view scope used to get a large scale sense of where in the sky you are looking) and Jupiter was in the upper right quadrant. Disco. It was not in the main scope field of view, but that will come with some fine-tuning. Bottom line, the telescope and the computer performed beautifully, and now the sky is the limit.