Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Magnificent Desolation

We saw the IMAX 3-D film Magnificent Desolation this past weekend at the California ScienCenter. The film is a Tom Hanks project and is part of his extended quest to keep space exploration and the Apollo legacy in the public consciousness. The name of the film refers to Buzz Aldrin's description of the surface of the moon at the Sea of Tranquility during the Apollo 11 lunar landing. About 40 minutes long, the film offers spectacular recreations of Apollo moon walks that try to make you feel like you are there. The film also goes into some of the history of the Apollo program. The 3-D effects were truly exceptional. I haven't seen a 3-D feature in years and I did not realize the technology had made such a great leap forward. The days of disorienting red and blue crossed frames have been replaced with true color and the results are eye popping. The images leap from the screen and produce an immediate "reach out and touch it" compulsion from your brain.

In addition to detailing some of the serious aspects of space travel to the moon, including a hypothetical recreation of how a moon walk emergency might have played out, the film also reaches out to children in an attempt to inspire. The film begins with an amusing segment of children being asked questions about America's lunar exploration program. Few of them know the name of the first man to walk on the moon. I wouldn't expect most young children to know that, but it shows that our collective memory of Apollo has faded considerably. The segment ends with a bright eyed 7 year old girl proclaiming that she intends to walk on the moon someday. I certainly hope she gets the chance.

Magnificent Desolation ends with a very moving tribute to the astronauts of the Apollo program and Tom Hanks musing that perhaps the next person to walk on the moon is watching the film right now. The theater we were in was probably only 1/3 full, but the important part was that there were many children, and even more importantly, there were parents who were willing to bring their children to see the film.

I highly recommend catching Magnificent Desolation on an IMAX screen, but I imagine it will be just as much fun if they release it on DVD.