Friday, March 24, 2006

space tourism


So, CNN ran an article this week about space tourism, a reality that is getting more and more attention as the months go by. Several private companies are now in the hunt to launch a commercially viable spacecraft capable of carrying up to 6 or so passengers on a suborbital flight. The expected cost of such a ticket is expected to top nearly a quarter million dollars, making such flights the playground of the rich and famous for now. One of the contending companies, Virgin Galactic, would appear to be the front runner right now. Virgin Galactic was formed around, and purchased the design rights to, SpaceShipOne, which successfully completed two test flights within a 14 day period in 2004 to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize. The X Prize was designed to spur private investment in space tourism, and thankfully it worked. I had the good fortune to attend two of the test flights in the Mojave Desert in June and September 2004. Despite ripping winds, bitter pre-dawn cold, and sweltering noontime heat, I wouldn't have missed it. It was a unique experience, and if those launches end up being the first steps toward putting everyday people in space, I'm thrilled to say I was there. The picture shows SpaceShipOne after the second successful launch, with pilot Mike Melvill riding on top. It doesn't look like much, but she screamed to the top of the atmosphere in about 90 seconds after being piggybacked on a more conventional aircraft up to 40,000 ft. Virgin Galactic is working on a similar craft for commercial use that will carry several more passengers. Some of the other companies presently have plans to begin testing their systems within the next year. So, space tourism is coming.

As for me, would I go? At the age of 30, I know that an affordable ticket to space will likely come late in life for me. I hope it happens before I am 60. Barring any health concerns and family objections, I will go. There are certain life experiences you feel destined to have, and for me this is one of them.